Prof. Dr. med. Jürgen T. Lutz, speaking at the 2021 Australian Institute of Medical & Clinical Scientists National Scientific Meeting (AIMS). Prof Lutz is the head of the Dept of Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care & Emergency Medicine at the Vinzenz Hospital , Cologne, Germany.
The Quantra System, a point-of-care viscoelastic testing device to assess coagulability: presentation from Dr. Wim Houdijk PhD at the 2021 virtual NATA symposium on patient blood management, haemostasis and thrombosis. Dr Houdijk is head of Medical and Scientific Affairs at HemoSonics, USA, a subsidiary of Diagnostica Stago.
Dr Pierre R. Tibi, MD, presenting a Stago webinar on his experiences using the Quantra in cardiac surgery.
Dr Tibi is Chief of the Department of Cardiac Services at Yavapai Regional Medical Center, Arizona, USA
- Highlights the speed of delivering the results (<15 min for QPlus)
- Shows strong correlation with Rotem
- Easy interpretation
- Actionable results reported and easy to view on the dials
- Strong correlation of FCS with fibrinogen (r=0.78) and PCS with platelet count (r=0.72)
- High accuracy: FCS for low fibrinogen; provides FCS thresholds: high sensitivity (86-92%) and specificity (77-90%); PCS for low platelet count (AUC 0.89-0.95); PCS thresholds: high sensitivity (90-100%) and specificity (74-87%)
- FCS and PCS thresholds identified to guide transfusion of fibrinogen and platelets
- High negative predictive value (NPV>95%) to rule-out thrombocytopenia and hypofibrinogenemia when test results are above thresholds
- SEER sonorheometry provides valuable information on the coagulation status of patients undergoing cardiac surgery using CPB
- CS can be run on pump with full heparinization (unaffected by heparin anticoagulation < 6 U/mL)
- This is the first published, clinical experience of Quantra QStat being used in the critical care of adult trauma patients.
- Results support the use of the Quantra QStat System as an aid to monitor coagulation and fibrinolysis status in the trauma population
- Quantra QStat parameters show a strong correlation with equivalent Rotem Delta parameters
- Not only strong concordance for detecting fibrinolysis but a faster detection of fibrinolysis than Rotem with the Quantra QStat
- QStat detects coagulopathies that could be associated with critical bleeding
Unique Quantra Technology
- This letter to the editor stresses the importance of the unique Quantra technology and how it differs from the TEG6S, something that the original article did not explain. Access to both are provided below